Independence Day, or as most call it, the 4th of July, celebrates the adoption of the Declaration of Independence. I wonder if our forefathers had an inkling it would be celebrating with barbecues, picnics, beer pong or frisbee golf tournaments?
Do you know: (mouse over the word "Answer" for the answers)
- The Declaration of Independence begins with what words? (Answer)
- Did George Washington sign the Declaration of Independence? (Answer)
- Why didn't George Washington sign Declaration of Independence? (Answer)
- 4th of July represents independence from who? (Answer)
- What is the motto of the United States? (Answer)
- A salute of one gun for each state in the United States, called a “salute to the union,” is fired on Independence Day at noon by any capable military base.
- In 2009, New York City had the largest fireworks display in the country with over 22 tons of pyrotechnics exploded.
- When did the Liberty Bell get it's crack? (Answer)
- In 1778, General George Washington celebrated with a double ration of run for his soldiers and an artillery salute.
- Life, liberty, and the ___________________ (Answer)
- The first recorded use of the term "Independence Day" was in 1791.
- Was George Washington ever wounded in battle? (Answer)
- The flag of the United States, The Stars and Stripes originated as a result of a resolution adopted by the Marine Committee of the Second Continental Congress at Philadelphia on June 14, 1777. The resolution read: "Resolved, that the flag of the United States be thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field representing a new constellation. " ...Read more
- How many people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776? (Answer)
- Who was the first President to occupy the White House? (Answer)
- Flying a flag upside down is a symbol of what? (Answer)
- The first ten amendments to the Constitution are known as? (Answer)
- Who said, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal"? (Answer)
- Who was the first person to sign the Declaration of Independence? (Answer)
- How did Washington D.C. become our capital? (Answer)
Do you have a favorite 4th of July tradition? We'd love to hear from you. Just send us a note to Announcingit.
You might also like:
...Flags of the United States and Patriotic Information
...Have an Outdoor Summer Party
...Preparing your House for a Party
...What to include on Invitations